Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland Regional Office
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING – SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in parts of the
Scenic Rim Council Area.
Issued at 4:37 pm Friday, 28 October 2016.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Lamington National Park and the area south of Canungra. These thunderstorms are moving slowly towards the north. Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:40 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.